9-year-old dials 9-1-1 after babysitter overdoses on heroin
A sobbing 9-year-old called 911 with a horrific report: “My grandmas are on the ground.”
“I was at my grandma’s house with my two younger sisters and I don’t know what happened,” said the 9-year-old, who said she was with her newborn and toddler sisters. “I just heard them falling down and next thing I know, I’m panicking because they’re on the ground.”
About 9 minutes into the call, first responders can be heard entering the residence.
“Ok, sweetheart, you can tell them that we’re here,” a first responder is heard telling the child caller.
A 9-year-old child dialed 9-1-1 after her babysitter and the sitter’s girlfriend overdosed on drugs Sunday afternoon, according to a city police incident report.
Police and emergency crews were dispatched around 2:45 p.m. to an apartment building in the 900 block of Shroyer Road.
The child reported she was in an apartment with her two younger siblings — ages 2 years and 2 months, and that their mother was on her way but still an hour away.
“We were greeted at the door by two small children with tears running down their faces,” wrote the reporting police officer in the incident report.
Police and medics located two unresponsive women when they arrived. One was halfway in the living room near the children. The other was in an area near the kitchen and bathroom.
Leslie Harbarger, 45, was given 12 milligrams of narcan. Angela Benda, 47, was given 16 milligrams of narcan.
In the incident report, police indicate Harbarger is Benda’s live-in girlfriend.
Benda and Harbarger were transported to Miami Valley Hospital for treatment. They were cited for endangering children and were issued a summons to appear in court.
“It should be noted that fire crews used every dose of narcan they were carrying and I had to give two doses of my issued narcan,” the reporting officer wrote.
According to police, Benda reported she ingested one heroin cap. Harbarger denied taking heroin, but said was known to abuse her prescription medication.
Montgomery County Children Services was notified about the incident.