Doodles from America's WW1 doughboys that have survived 100 years: Incredible carvings made by young troops from Boston's 'Yankee Division' as they sheltered from shells, 30 feet underground in French cave (19 Pics)

No comments
  • Troops from Boston's 26th Infantry Division used the Froidmont quarry in Chemin des Dames to shelter
  • While on break from front-line duty, recruits carved 250 military insignias and portraits of themselves
  • All recruits in the 26th division were from New England so they were given the nickname 'Yankees'
  • New pictures of the inscriptions have been released in run up to the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day
Creative: Inscriptions left by American soldiers of the 26th Division are seen in the Froidmont quarry in Chemin des Dames. Boston's 26th Infantry Division arrived in Saint-Nazaire, France, on September 27, 1917, to support British and French forces and helped hold the Aisne line - the Allied Front beyond Chemin des Dames. The ridge  would change hands several times during the course of a series of ultimately fruitless battles. In the second battle of Aisne alone 400,000 troops died in a matter of weeks in early 1917.
Troops from the 26th Infantry Division used the Froidmont quarry in Chemin des Dames to shelter from relentless German artillery. Pictured: Photos of the two of troops - RA Best and LE Williams - who used the quarry have been placed near their inscriptions. The Froidmont quarry has been a tourist attraction for decades, and over the years local enthusiasts have been able to use military records to match the names on the wall of the quarry with their photographs. However it is not known if these two soldiers survived the war
Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames association and WW1 enthusiast, displays a portrait of U.S. soldier F.A. Hoyt of the 26th Infantry Division next to graffiti he left in the 12 mile-tunnel complex 100 years ago. Mr Chawin's historical association was able to match Hoyt's service record with his graffiti in the tunnel. He survived the war
Soldiers of Company F of the 26th division, including Joseph Bridges, (centre with glasses). All their recruits were from New England so they were given the nickname 'Yankees'. The Yankees were the second division the US deployed in the First World War in what was the first US intervention in a European conflict. America deployed more than one million troops to Europe and they were known as doughboys because European cavalrymen thought the large brass buttons on their uniforms looked like the flour dumplings or dough cakes.
This picture shows an opening to one of the tunnels in Northern France, with American soldiers standing outside the capture dug-out. All their recruits to the 26th Division were from New England so they were given the nickname 'Yankees' - which describes someone from the state
A carving representing a dog with a German helmet. New pictures of the inscriptions taken by Reuters photographer Charles Platiau have been released in the run up to the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day
A graffiti representing a French soldier. While on break from front-line duty, recruits carved 250 military insignias and portraits of themselves and their horses into the stone as they holed up the quarry which was equipped with artificial light and drinking water

US Corporal Earle Madeley of Plainville, Connecticut wrote this barely legible message which included his age, 20. In total, after 210 days of combat during World War One, 1,587 members of the Yankee Division were killed and 12,077 were wound

A drawing representing William Frederick 'Buffalo Bill' Cody in seen in the Froidmont quarry where the soldiers sheltered. The survivors from the Yankee Division returned to the USA on May 3 1919 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts
A caricature of Kaiser Wilhelm, the Emperor of Germany is seen in the Froidmont quarry where US soldiers hid out in WWI
Portrait of Wilhelm II (1859 - 1941), early 20th century. He was he last German Emperor and King of Prussia who ruled from 15 June 1888 until the end of World War I (November, 1918). He was the grandson of Queen Victoria of England
Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames association and WW1 enthusiast, descends a ladder. The Froidmont quarry, nicknamed the quarry of the Americans, is managed by an association and may be visited by appointment only
Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames association and WW1 enthusiast, walks in the Froidmont quarry
Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames association and WW1 enthusiast, climbs down into the Froidmont quarry
Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames association and WW1 enthusiast, points at American graffiti in the Froidmont quarry
Visitors climb down into the Froidmont quarry, a complex network of tunnels which became a refuge for US soldiers
Graffiti by an anonymous soldier, in Latin and blue ink reads: 'Hail Caesar, we who are about to die salute you'
Carvings left by American soldiers of the 26th Division are seen among 1,000 inscriptions discovered in the Froidmont quarry
A German helmet in seen in the Froidmont quarry. In total, after 210 days of combat, 1,587 Yankees were killed and 12,077 were wounded. The survivors returned to the USA on May 3rd 1919 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks For Sharing Your Views